"John F. Witherspoon" <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 5 Feb 1997 23:27:16 -0500
On Tue, 4 Feb 1997 22:36:42 -0700 Dan Lester <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>At 08:41 PM 2/4/97 +0000, Duane Campbell wrote:
>>I complained about problems with AOL on this list a few months ago and
>>received a public message to stop bashing them. So I laid back. Now I've
>>had it.

>And of course with any POP client like Eudora, you can set the return to
>anything you want.  Same for mail in browsers such as Netscape.  So, ANYone
>can send mail from ANY address at ANY time.  I could toss a dozen messages
>to this list in ten minutes with all phony addresses.

This would be much less likely to work, however, on a list with SEND=
PRIVATE (only subscribers can post) and SUBSCRIBE= OPEN, CONFIRM (where all
subscription addresses must be confirmed as legitimate before subscriptions
are accepted).  IMHO, any list owner whose list is set to less secure
standards is asking for trouble.

As mentioned, nothing is foolproof, but "harm reduction" is the name of the
game -- every additional loophole you sew up will prevent a few more hassles
on your list.

-- John Witherspoon