Richard Rodriguez <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 12 Jul 1993 12:54:17 CET
I'll answer for Manfred or Silvia since both are on vacation for the
next couple of weeks. This is certainly my point of view and is not
approved in any way.

1. The DFN-office in Berlin is responsible for this mass mail. The
   postmaster is Gabriele von Siebert, [log in to unmask] Please
   send any comments to this address. It's useless to complain
   on lstown-l or lstsrv-l.

2. Currently it doesn't matter whether you send mail to a dbp.de
   or a d400.de mailbox, because both are considered identical
   as seen from BITNET or the Internet. The gateways translate
   the address internally to admd=dbp or admd=d400 depending on
   which admd is supported by the destination site. Outgoing X.400
   mail to BITNET (and Internet) is always sent with an origin of
   d400.de.

   Personally I agree with Eric and Christian in that it is probably
   in the users' own interest to remove all dbp.de addresses globally
   and ask the users to resubscribe. It is my understanding that
   the DFN-office intents to drop support of dbp.de by the end of the
   year, so they will be deleted anyway sooner or later. "Sooner"
   is preferable, since as long as dbp.de is valid, the notification
   messages will be delivered.

3. The headers were most probably garbled, because sendmail didn't
   like 500 recipients listed in the To:-field. I'm pretty sure
   these mails left DEARN intact, but since I don't know how the
   mail arrived in your mailbox, I can't be more specific. I'm
   sure I don't have to tell lst*-l subscribers about better ways
   to send large distribution mails. :-)

Regards,
rr