Sun, 22 Mar 1992 15:14:58 CST
> I would be grateful for the advice of list owners on the following
> question:  I am collaborating with the Mark Twain Project at the
> University in California (Berkeley) in an attempt to save the Project,
> which risks having to close its doors on July 1 if additional outside
> sources of funding are not located, since the National Endowment for the
> Humanities is cutting back its support for the Project.
>
> Our plan is to send the following plea for help to relevant lists, and

Part of my response will depend on how you define "relevant lists." If it were
only to lists devoted specifically to Mark Twain that would be one thing, if
were to go to all lists that have academics on it, that would be something
quite different.  Obviously the wider the number of lists the more the
objections!

> so I would be grateful for the opinions of list owners regarding the
> appropriateness of this.  I know that it is _not_ appropriate to
.
.
> The recent proposal requires funding support from private sources.  Help
> is needed in locating organizations or individuals who may be able to
> provide this support.  All donations will be matched dollar for dollar by
> the NEH.
>
> As we do not subscribe to this list, please e-mail us directly at --

This ALWAYS bothers me.  If the list is relevant for members of the project,
then why do they not subscribe?  If they are asking for a favor from members
of the list, why shouldn't they subscribe for a while before the posting to
make certain the list's traffic is approprite for their postings (you cannot
go by names/descriptions alone) and for a while after to see what discussion
may exist.  Since the postings are only done to RELEVANT lists this should not
be a problem.

> If you would like to help support the MARK TWAIN PROJECT, you may send a
> tax-deductible check of any size made out the FRIENDS OF THE BANCROFT
> LIBRARY.  Send to Robert Hirst, General Editor, Mark Twain Project, 480
> Library, University of California, Berkeley, CA 94720.

I think the above paragraph should NOT be included, since that is not the
purpose of the posting.

> >From all of us at the Project, thank you.

-phil

--
     J. Philip Miller, Professor, Division of Biostatistics, Box 8067
	 Washington University Medical School, St. Louis MO 63110