Tue, 4 Aug 1992 23:34:17 -0700
I asked the list about this and then wrote to the postmaster of att.com...
here is his reply:

Date: Tue, 4 Aug 92 10:49 EDT
From: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Delivery error notice sent to list IPCT-L

	I've been looking into this recently ... I think I have it
	narrowed down. It appears that ATTMAIL's mailer won't
	accept email that has *any* header line longer than
	like 128 chars !!

	Example:
> From: internet!pucc.Princeton.EDU!GUVM.BITNET!IPCT-L
> 	internet!pucc.Princeton.EDU!nevada2.BITNET!msmauri (Interpersonal Compu
>        ***ting and

	I've been in conversation with them to 1) confirm that their software
	does this and 2) stop it.

	We here at att.com do gatewaying for attmail.com. I am pretty sure
	that whomever you send the list to either forwards their email to
	attmail.com from their att.com address or you have an attmail.com
	address in your list.

	Joseph Judge		[log in to unmask]

  }|{ mauri
(ms) mauri collins             /\\//\   Managing Editor:
Internet: [log in to unmask]   > () <   The IPCT Electronic Journal
BITnet:   collins@nevada3      \/()\/   Georgetown U/Penn State U
Moderator: IPCT-L@GUVM - Interpersonal Computing and Technology List.