Eric Thomas <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 17 Jun 1996 07:49:20 +0200
On Mon, 17 Jun 1996 00:32:26 -0500 Winship <[log in to unmask]> said:

>Yes, folks, you too can help to promote LSOFT ! ;-)

All right Doug, I'm obviously not in  sales and it looks like I didn't do
a very good job here. I guess I'm just going to have to try harder :-)

The stories that will promote  *L-Soft* are the *organization* stories. I
don't need to tell you that they work both ways.

The  *personal* stories  are not  about promoting  L-Soft, they're  about
giving LISTSERV a *human face*. With all due respect, no manager is going
to send us  a check because Douglas Winship mumbled  something on our web
site about having a such great time running the AUTOCAT list in his spare
time. They'll  send us a  check because they read  the story by  XYZ Inc.
that said LISTSERV helped them save  time and money. I'm painting this in
black and white when in reality there  are shades of grey in the picture,
but the personals  aren't meant to be advertising  material. They're here
to tell other people, who may never have heard of mailing lists, that the
Internet isn't just the web and you  can do all sorts of wonderful things
using this old fashioned medium that may not pop up k00l 3D grafx on your
PC after 5 minutes of download  time but does convey in-depth, meaningful
information suitable for consumption by people who have realized that the
power switch  on their  brain also has  an ON setting  and who  have been
desperately looking for  the corresponding setting on  their web browser.
Call  it promotion  if you  must, but  it's long  term promotion  through
social change and information, not glossyware. Myself I call it making it
easier for newbies to relate to a techno-buzzword by putting a human face
on  the buzzword.  And, of  course,  being listed  on our  web site  also
promotes your list  and your efforts (which may or  may not be desirable,
depending on the list :-) ).

Perhaps  the free  shirt business  was misunderstood.  You couldn't  have
known of course, but  there will be plenty of free  shirts given out over
the summer. The idea wasn't to bribe people for a nice quote, it was more
of a "welcome to the club" type of thing, plus the beneficiaries will get
their shirts  before others and  be able to talk  about them on  the list
while everyone wonders what they look  like :-) Disclaimer: we don't have
the shirts yet :-( Anyway, I would  be highly surprised if anyone on this
list made up a  nice story in order to get a free  shirt. Now I can think
of a number of  people who would do that for a  bounce processing AI, but
not for a shirt ;-)

Finally, I forgot to mention that  we need these stories fairly soon, 1-2
weeks at the most. Since the stories  are meant to be short and include a
link  to (presumably)  existing home  pages, I  don't feel  that this  is
unrealistic.

  Eric