Bassem Fanari <[log in to unmask]>
Sat, 5 Aug 1995 21:15:32 +0300
On Thu, 3 Aug 1995 11:00:34 -0400, Roger Myers <[log in to unmask]> said:

> Hi everyone,
>
> I like the way LISTSERV searches mailing list archives.
> I am wondering if I can create other files for my list which LISTSERV
> can similarly search?
> If so, then how do I go about that and where would I find a description
> of how to do it?
>
> I might for example like to place a document in my archives which
> contains book reviews. It would be very convenient then for people
> to have LISTSERV select reviews of books from a particular author
> or containing specific words in them instead of retrieving the entire
> BOOK REVIEWS file and searching it themselves.
> Is this posible with LISTSERV?

Yes, it's possible with LISTSERV, but needs a lot of work from your side,
and a lot of explanation from my side.. :-)

Basically it's done by creating a *dummy* listserv mailing list with no
subscriptions ("Subscription= Closed"), and with a single notebook file
("Notebook= Yes,<where>,Single,Public").

Let me put a fancy example first, and then give explanation based on it.
Suppose that you want to create a listserv database called: BOOKREVU
with items (specifically called "documents") containing a Book Name
(Title), Author, Publisher, ISBN, Review, and other information.

First, you will create the file 'BOOKREVU LIST' containing the following
lines, and store it on LISTSERV:

*
*  BOOKREVU - "Book Reviews" Searchable Database
*
*  PW= <list-password>
*  List-ID= BOOKREVU
*  Review= Public
*  Subscription= Closed
*  Send= Owner
*  Files= No
*  Reply-To= None,Ignore
*  Sender= None
*  Confidential= No
*  Validate= Yes
*  X-Tags= No
*  Stats= None
*  Ack= No
*  Notebook= Yes,<where>,Single,Public
*  Errors-To= Owner
*  Owner= userid@siteid (Owner's Name)
*
* BOOKREVU is a dummy list to allow searching of the "Book Reviews"
* Database.  You can  search it  using the  DATABASE facilities  of
* LISTSERV.  For more info send LISTSERV the command INFO DATABASE.
*

Notice that with the above settings, the database is public, and can
be seen from any site, using the "DATABASE LIST" command, and searched
using "DATABASE SELECT".

If you wish the database be accessed just from some certain sites, and
be hidden from all others, change the following keywords into:

*  Review= Service
*  Confidential= Service
*  Notebook= Yes,<where>,Single,Service
*  Service= site1,site2,site3,...

In this case, anyone from a site not included in the "Service" area
will not see the BOOKREVU database when sending the "DATABASE LIST"
command.

The setting "Validate= Yes" is crucial to the integrity of the database,
so that no "hacker" can subscribe himself to the list, and then corrupt
your database file with some junk mail.

Second, create the files 'BOOKREVU FILEID' and 'BOOKREVU FILELIST'
as usual, where the "FILEID" file will have only one line containing
the character "1" (without the quotes).  And the "FILELIST" file, after
its creation will just hold a single file, which is 'BOOKREVU NOTEBOOK'
(instead of the regular monthly or weekly LOG files).

Notice that creating the files 'BOOKREVU LIST', 'BOOKREVU FILEID', and
'BOOKREVU FILELIST' requires LISTSERV Owner or Postmaster privilages.
So if you don't have such privilages, you'll have to negotiate creating
these file with your site's postmasters.  Another thing to consider
is the disk space occupied by the 'BOOKREVU NOTEBOOK' file.  it will
probably take a lot of disk space, so you have also to discuss this
matter with your postmasters.

'BOOKREVU NOTEBOOK' will be the file containing all the book information
and reviews.  You have to construct it to be VERY similar to the LOG files
generated by LISTSERV when archiving e-mail messages sent to lists, so
that your database can be of the same type as the standard LISTSERV
"NOTEBOOK" database type, and all the rules of searching this type can
be applied to yours with no errors.

As regular LOG files, 'BOOKREVU NOTEBOOK' is divided into units (called
"items" or "documents").  Each document is separated from the others by
a line of 73 equal "=" signs.  A document consists of two inner parts
(called "document portions"): Header (HDR) and Body (Text), separated
by an empty line.  The header should contain at least the following
three fields:

In the "Date:" field, you can put either the date at which the book was
published, or the document creation date or date of the last change made
to it.  I prefer the document creation/change date, since it would be
very useful if someone is accessing the database regularly and wants
an index of the new documents added to the database since his/her last
access.  You can put the publishing date of the book in the Body rather
than in the Header.

The "Subject:" field can contain the book title, and the "From:" field
can contain the author's name.

There are other fields usually found in the regular list LOG files, like
the "Reply-To:" and "Sender:" fields,  but they won't be needed in this
example (BOOKREVU), and can be omitted, that's why I put the following
two keyword settings in the header of the BOOKREVU list:

*  Reply-To= None,Ignore
*  Sender= None

The other portion (the body or text) will contain all the other info
about the book, arranged according to your own special format.

Here is a little sample 'BOOKREVU NOTEBOOK' file, consisting of two
documents: