Brigit van Loggem <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 24 Apr 1997 08:03:10 -0400
Dear All,

I realise this is a lot to ask, but I've tried everything else and I'm
worried sick... Thing is, I'm new to being a list owner and the person I
took over from just referred me to the big fat user manual, then stopped
(it seems) reading his mail...

My problem (and that of my would-be subscribers!): Since I edited the mail
template for my list, I get no more subscriber requests. They seem to get
lost in electronic limbo. Subscription to the list is by Owner, and the
idea is a new subscriber first gets the SUB_OWNER section from the mail
template:

Would you mind telling me just a bit about yourself and the nature of your
interest in eczema? A sentence or two would be fine. I need to have your
full name as well as your gender. It would also be helpful to know in what
town or region you live, and how you learned about the eczema list.

When I have received your reply to this message (just use the Reply option
in your e-mail program), I will add you to the mailing list. Note:
the Eczema list is relatively small (about 300 people as of April 1997),
and there have been no problems to date with "hackers" or invasion of
privacy. If you have specific concerns about confidentiality, please
mention them in your reply to this message.

Best regards,

Brigit van Loggem
-----------------------

and on their reply I ADD them.

The problem is, they never seem to get the ADDREQ1 message... It's been
frighteningly quiet in my mailbox recently, so I asked a friend to
subscribe and ALL he got was the SUB_OWNER section message, NOTHING SINCE
(more than 24 hours ago!).

WHAT IS WRONG??????? I've copied the two relevant sections directly from
the mail template as I've PUT it to the server; the .cc is there so I can
monitor if the ADDREQ1 msg is ever sent but it isn't, I get no mail.

HELP ME PLEASE -- I keep thinking of all those people not knowing that
they'll nver hear from this list again, as I don't even know they tried to
subscribe...

THANKS A LOT IN ADVANCE!

-Brigit (who read the b... manual even BEFORE everything else failed <g>)