Dan Lester <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 17 Jun 1996 12:57:56 MST
Eric, as far as I'm concerned....

there is only ONE kludge that is worth worrying about.  That is for those
who change from    [log in to unmask]    to   [log in to unmask]

I'd LOVE it if that one could be made to work for all functions, even if
only with in the (American) .edu world.  It seems that a vast number of
academic institutions are changing to campus wide naming schemes with a
central name server....and since most of my lists are fairly academic in
membership, this happens all the time.

Our campus still, obviously, doesn't use a central scheme, though I expect
it will happen in a couple years.

But, to use our neighbor to the north, U of Idaho, as an example:

They used to have a cluster of boxes that were a problem.

were all the same student.  My daughter was one of them until she graduated
last month.

But, they now changed and all accounts are    [log in to unmask]   or

If you could cover that ONE type of change without dropping all other
projects, great.  If not, oh well....I understand.

And, maybe this one isn't as important to other....and maybe it will go
away in time as the world continues to change to centrally controlled
addressing schemes.

Food for thought, anyhow.

dan

  Dan Lester, Network Information Coordinator
  Albertsons Library, Boise State University, Boise, Idaho 83725 USA
  [log in to unmask]             http://cyclops.idbsu.edu/
  How can one fool make another wise?  Kansas, "No One Together," 1979