Robert Maxwell Young <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 28 Nov 1995 08:09:51 +0000
>On Thu,  23 Nov  1995 07:50:01  -0800 Maryjo  Bruce <[log in to unmask]>
>said:
>
>>However,  I  am  counfounded  by   information  given  to  me  by  local
>>hardware/software sellers. Ever though I  tell each salesperson the same
>>thing, I get  answers that vary from, "You don't  need anything. You can
>>use a 286 and free software" to "Expect to spend no less than $25,000."
>
>I guess each of these people had a particular situation in mind for which
>the answer  was accurate. With  a 286, DOS  and some freeware  package or
>other you can  probably set up a  two-soup-cans-waxed-wire solution. With
>$25k you can buy a very nice system that can deliver 1 million messages a
>day.  It all  depends on  your needs  and budget.  Have you  got existing
>hardware? What  is your expected daily  volume? How are you  connected to
>the Internet?  These are the kind  of questions that would  determine the
>type of solution to look for.
>
>  Eric

You can create a 'scratch forum' by putting the names of all the members in
the 'To:' space. You keep the entire list, with addresses separated by
commas, in a file in your computer or in your 'out' file of your email
software. Everytime you want to send a posting, you select 'send again' or
cut and paste from the file or 'rep[ly'. Your scratch forum members do the
same. Nothing dfancy. I saw a forum on the philosopher A. N. Whitehead
conducted this way for some months.

|  Robert Maxwell Young:  [log in to unmask]
|        26 Freegrove Rd., London N7 9RQ England
|        tel. +44 171 607 8306 fax. +44 171 6094837
|  Professor of Psychotherapy and Psychoanalytic Studies,
|        Centre for Psychotherapeutic Studies,
|        University of  Sheffield:  [log in to unmask]
|  Home page and writings:  http://www.shef.ac.uk/~psysc/
|  _Mental Space_: http://rdz.stjohns.edu/gp/rmy.html
|   Process Press, _Free Associations_, _Science as Culture_:
|        http://rdz.stjohns.edu/gp/process.html
  'One must imagine Sisyphus happy.' - Camus