Liz Marr <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 7 Feb 2006 07:40:42 -0800
On 7 Feb 2006 at 0:30, Eric Thomas wrote:

> An update on the AOL pay-per-message issue. I have given a round of press
> interviews today and it looks like there is going to be a lot of coverage
> today and tomorrow. AOL have backed off on their plans to phase out the
> (free) whitelist by June 30, but it seems clear that their long-term
> direction remains pay-per-message.

Our local news actually ran a bit on it yesterday, said that the charges would only
apply to "commercial" mailers like mortgage companies and so on. Like I want the
only messages in my email box to be those who can pay to send them (spam)  I
also wonder if they are going to want to pay a penny a message to send to people
who will turn them off?

I agree that something needs to be done about spam, but why not just make what
they have more user customizable?  I know with my domain provider, I had to tell
them to turn off whatever it was they were using and I filter things myself instead.

Liz Marr