Alex Rudd <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 6 Jun 1997 22:06:56 EDT
Dear fellow list owners,

Our site just upgraded to 1.8c today and I took the opportunity
to find out what new options were available.  I was thrilled to
find out that LISTSERV could automatically restrict the number
of postings per user to the list per day.  We've had a limit of
one post per day for a long time, but I've been forced to enforce
that manually.  The rub, of course, is that we're also a self-
moderated list, and all subscribers (defined as list editors)
would be exempt from the daily limit.  I was going to write and
ask if there was any way around this, but then I searched the
archives and saw that Mark Drake asked essentially the same
thing a couple of months ago, only to confirm what he already
figured:  There's no way around it.

That's a bummer....

I'd really like to continue having a self-moderated list.  I
find it to be a very useful set-up.  It helps when a subscriber's
address changes suddenly so his submissions are sent to me or
when a non-subscriber writes to listname Request (leaving out
the hyphen and resulting in the message's being sent to the
list, and hence, to me).

But I really feel the need to restrict the number of daily
posts, so I'll probably play with going back to Send= Private.

Which leads me to my point, which is more of a suggestion than a
question:

I love how configurable the MAILTPL is.  Unfortunately,
there's one administrative message which is not included
in the DEFAULT MAILTPL which I'd love to be able to modify.
Specifically, when a list owner does make use of the option
restricting the number of postings per user to the list per
day, and a subscriber tries to post a message which exceeds
the daily limit, that message is now returned to the subscriber
with a little "slap-on-the-wrist" message explaining that his
message would exceed the daily limit and advising him to try
again later.  I think we should be able to modify that message.
On my list, for example, although we have a limit on the number
of posts a member may post per day, we also have an exception
to that policy.  I'd like to be able to modify that message to
include a statement saying something to the effect of "if your
submission were to satisfy the conditions of the exception,
please send your message to the list owner directly and he will
see that it's distributed to the list."

Comments?

If you reply to this on the list, I'd appreciate a cc: to my
address as well, since I have trouble finding the time to keep
up with this list every day.

Thanks.

- Alex, list owner of POLICE-L      [log in to unmask]
Alex Rudd             [log in to unmask]               ARS KA2ZOO
Orange, CT P.D.       (Insert standard disclaimer here)