Ian Fairclough <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 20 Sep 2006 10:38:37 -0400
Dear LSTOWN-L readers,

Discussion about list archives took place earlier this week, and also a
couple of months ago (with the subject Editing or deleting messages).  Here
are some comments based on my experience, both as a list owner for the past
two years  and in dealing with another list.

When I set up the list, a couple of readers kindly helped with testing.  As
a result, we generated a fair amount of material which was unnecessary and
undesirable to retain.  So before going public with the list, I deleted the
archival files.

From time to time, errors have happened in processing messages.  Our site
administrator kindly fixed the problem, and in so doing he removed the
archives and then replaced them.  However, as a result it's uncertain
whether the archives reflect the complete postings to the list.  Also
because of these problems, one or two messages got sent repeatedly (shades
of the old "Spam" song and Bitnet - anyone out there remember Bitnet?!) and
are still in the archives.  I don't view this as a problem however.

The archives are useful for another purpose: Documenting list subscriber
behavior - not just on the list itself, but also elsewhere.  The list I edit
is DEWEYERROR, and you don't have to be a genius to guess that this list is
of highly specialized interest, of concern only to those working with
suspected errors in Dewey Decimal Classification numbers found on library
books.  But one subscriber, the listowner of a different list of much
broader scope, had intentions of his own which were at variance with the
purpose of DEWEYERROR.

I learned about this when a couple of correspondents wrote to advise me that
error reports were also appearing on that list.  You can even read a version
of one of my own messages from DEWEYERROR in the archives of that list,
rewritten without my consent and with the (admittedly humorous) pseudonym
"Clark Fairy" along with a fictitious e-mail address.  Although he
eventually desisted from his activities, they are recorded in two messages I
posted to advise subscribers to be aware of what he was doing.  If anyone
wants the specifics, you can search for a couple of posts with subject
"Administrative Concerns" in the DEWEYERROR archives,
http://listserv.kent.edu/archives/DEWEYERROR.html.

In the same context: a message announcing DEWEYERROR is the archives of this
other list - but none of the individuals whom I'd asked to keep an eye out
for that message received it!

The above is a cautionary tale, inasmuch as, whereas list archives can serve
as a history of distributed messages, they
also can represent something else.  With lists, as with democracy, constant
vigilance is required.

Sincerely - Ian

Ian Fairclough
Marion (Ohio) Public Library