Eric Thomas <[log in to unmask]>
Sat, 11 Apr 1992 19:48:17 +0200
Disclaimer: none of the following is meant to apply to LISTEARN.

On Sat,  11 Apr  1992 09:32:00 N  "Herman J.  Woltring" <UGDIST@HNYKUN53>
said:

>Also, at least some LISTSERV / LISTEARN s/w is case-sensitive, sometimes
>only to the left of the @ symbol in the requester's From: address.

LISTSERV is  not generally  case sensitive  for signoff  requests, unless
there exist several addresses in the list with the same left-hand part in
a different case.

>(the reason for the latter  being that lower-case node_id information is
>automatically converted to upper case). [It would be interesting to know
>whether  there  are  any  lists  with  subscriber  entries  whose  email
>addresses merely differ  in the case to  the left of the  @ symbol while
>corresponding to different email accounts.]

The reason for the latter is that  RFC822 says that host names are not to
be case sensitive,  so I am allowed to  change the case if I  want to. On
the other hand,  it says that the  left hand part IS  case sensitive, and
yes, I used to  know a system where 'Root' and  'root' were two different
users.

>my node  is HNYKUN53.BITNET  and psych.kun.nl on  the Internet,  but the
>local address  table identifies  me as  [log in to unmask] in  the From:
>field if  I use  the PMDF  mailer rather  than the  JNET mailer  on this
>VAX/VMS machine. So, signing on via  one, and signing off via another is
>not  likely   to  work  *unless*  the   LISTEARN/LISTSERV  s/w  compares
>alternative addresses between BITNET and Internet.

LISTSERV  does check  for alternative  addresses,  but it  does not  have
divinatory powers.  Perhaps if you  would indicate in your  BITEARN NODES
entry that HNYKUN53 = psych.kun.nl, you wouldn't be complaining now.

  Eric