Roger Fajman <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 25 Sep 1997 19:55:36 EDT
> This as you know is highly  controversial as it requires every message to
> be  customized  specifically  for   its  recipient.  Other  than  wasting
> bandwidth, this significantly increases the amount of resources needed to
> process the  message at  the RECEIVING  site. To  give just  one example,
> L-Soft delivers some 1-1.5M messages to  AOL every day. While WE have the
> resources to  customize each of  these messages  and send them  as 1-1.5M
> separate transactions,  I'm not  sure AOL  would be  thrilled if  we (and
> everyone else in the net) did that.  And what's worse, I'm not sure AOL's
> users would be  thrilled either! They can already sign  off by writing to
> [log in to unmask] (no command  needed), and list mail
> is a lot  more useful if you get  it the same day that it  was sent. This
> customization feature only works as long as a not too many people use it.
> Technically, it is trivial to implement.

Sending a separate copy of each post for every subscriber would certainly
cause us problems with some of our lists.  We have cases of lists with
hundreds or even thousands of subscribers on one host.  We have LISTSERV
and sendmail set to send 100 receipients per copy, the maximum safe value
with SMTP.  A separate copy per recipient would cause severe problems for
some of our hosts.