Jacob Haller <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 30 Sep 1997 15:34:20 -0400
>Hi there, this may be an elementary question, but this is bothering me.
>
>I am about to take over a list from someone else.  Call me A.  And I have
>agreed to co-own after it is up and running with a person who has never
>run a list but wants to learn.  Call him B.
>
>Now, If I set up the list as Owner= A I understand that I cannot be
>booted, because I am the only one able to edit the header, but if I add B
>as an owner, then what is stopping B from editing me out of the list and
>take it over?

Nothing.

>Does this change with them being a 'quiet' owner.

No.  All owners have equal power.

I haven't heard of struggles for listownership (I would probably play to
lose), but I suppose they probably happen from time to time.  In extreme
cases, you could appeal to the LISTSERV maintainer, who could serve off the
interloper and keep his or her commands from being recognized, or restore
the mailing list to its original configuration (with you solely in control).

If you and another person have that big a difference of opinion on how a
mailing list should run, my solution would be to create two seperate
mailing lists.

To put this in perspective, I've transitioned out of listowning on two
occasions in the way you describe--first me being sole listowner, then
someone else coming on as quiet listowner, and eventually a total switch.
The first such transfer happened about five years ago.

I think I'm still quiet listowner on both.

If you haven't done anything to majorly alienate a sizeable portion of your
mailing list's membership, I doubt you have anything to worry about.

-jwgh