Maureen Leblanc <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 5 Apr 1995 13:03:24 EDT
Hi kids.

Problem user has some of my subscribers upset.

This person posts from the usenet side of the gateway, (HWY61-L
is a gated list.) He's really unusually meanspirited, posting some
extraordinarily homophobic junk.

I really don't want to filter on content - I love free speech and all.

This is getting to be a problem though.

My subscribers have no means of killfiling him, as usenet users have.
Almost all receive HWY61-L as a digest, so to delete his drek is to
delete their digests.

I really don't see his posting of homophobic (and misogynistic as well)
crap as "free speech" but more as an *abuse* of same.

Anyone have *any* guidance at all on this one? I haven't filtered him
yet thinking I'd be accused of censorship on content.

Now, I've gotten three complaints from subscribers and am seriously
considering filtering him. My subscribers have written to his postmaster
who feels that it's strictly a free speech issue! No help there.

If I filter him, should I notify him (via email) that that's going to
be the case? (He's incredibly abusive to subscribers in email as well.)

My gut impulse says filter him. The card carrying ACLU member in me says,
"Dont!"

Any input appreciated - PLEEEEZE.

Maureen LeBlanc                   Listowner: [log in to unmask]