Jacob Haller <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 19 Oct 2000 12:12:30 -0400
At 11:36 AM -0500 10/19/00, Ashley Goss wrote:
>When I try to sub myself through my personal university account or
>through a Hotmail account, the error message is sent to the owners
>and the prospective subscriber. (And actually the line numbers are
>different in the two messages. The owner gets the error in line 37 and
>the subscriber gets it in line 23.)

Ah.  This I am able to replicate.

D'oh.  It turns out to be something relatively obvious.

>  >>.bb &whom =* *@*.uga.edu

This needs to be:

        .bb &whom =* '*@*.uga.edu'

>  >>.bb &whom ^=* *@*.uga.edu

This needs to be:

        .bb &whom ^=* '*@*.uga.edu'

In the "you didn't ask but I'm going to tell you anyway" category:

Any email address is going to contain an at sign, so for the purposes
of =* and ^=* the expression "*@*.uga.edu" is equivelent to
"*.uga.edu".  I'd use the latter since it probably takes up fewer
system resources, though in reality the difference is probably pretty
negligable.  (I should note that the two expressions are not always
equivelent; for instance if you were using a SCAN command for each of
the expressions the results might be different.  The equivelence here
is guaranteed because we're looking for an exact match, so in both
cases the matching email address must end in ".uga.edu", whereas with
SCAN the matching email address must simply _contain_ ".uga.edu".)

Second, note that email addresses that just end in "@uga.edu" will
not match *@*.uga.edu (or *.uga.edu).  I don't know how uga.edu email
addresses work so this may or may not be an issue.  (If all uga.edu
email addresses end in .uga.edu then you're all set; I note that your
email address ends in CALC.VET.UGA.EDU and so would match the
expression.)

Thanks,
--
Jacob Haller, Technical Support