Pete Weiss <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 5 May 2003 10:49:44 -0400
At 09:56 05/05/2003 Monday, Vosswinkel, Kerry wrote:
 >able to see that).  Tell me more about the peculiarities of the LISTSERV
 >Distribute Backbone - that's one I haven't heard of.

The LISTSERV Distribute Backbone does not necessarily follow the same
path as someone sending email from the LISTSERV hosted machine to the
target machine i.e., there is a meta-level of hosts that are passed thru
that varies depending upon the number of subscribers at various locations
and their distribution options.  This was much more interesting in the
good 'ol BitNet daze.

DNS is a distributed database of multiple and hopefully uptodate and
accurate host [name to IP address] lookup tables.  They are not always.

/Pete