Ed Price <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 1 Sep 1997 15:17:34 -0400
At 12:23 PM 9/1/1997 -0600, Dan Lester wrote:
>At 06:24 PM 8/29/97 -0400, Ed Price wrote:
>>My understanding is that current Listserv does not require a name which
>>opens a great opportunity for debate.  If you insist on a name that is
>>your right.  I'd write 'concealed' asking for one - don't be surprised if
>>you get a 'nom de plume' - and if there is no reply simply do a quiet del
>>of the concealed's ID.
>>
>   In addition to the ANONYMOUS and the * that have already been
>described....you can always use a phony name.  Yes, if you say you are "A
>Jerk" it may be correct.  However, there is NEVER a way you can be sure
>someone has registered with their "Real Name" or anything approaching it.
>There are now a number of ISPs who have plans that do not require a credit
>card (they are either free like some well known ones, or ones that are
>based on prepayment with a card bought in stores).  So, why worry about it?
>  Are you sure who I am?
>
>dan
>
>Dan Lester
>In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.  Erasmus, 1534

Dan - Frankly NO I am not sure who you are but I enjoy the luxury of
identifying with a name even if it turns out to be 'phony,'  Certainly a
pen name or a "nom de plume" is better than an "anonymous" which somehow
signifies an evasion or lack of trust to me.  But then this is up to the
Listowner.

IMHO

Ed