Nathan Brindle <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 30 May 2000 10:02:35 EDT
On Wed, 24 May 2000 10:53:23 -0300 Bruce Dienes said:
>1) I am receiving these error messages (see below) and I don't quite know what
>they mean. (i.e., does this error mean that the message was trashed, or just
>that the date will not be correct?) I would like to be able to let the list
>members know that some messages may not be delivered, if that is the case.
>Error
>message follows:
>
>Error occurred while processing file 384378 from [log in to unmask]:
>LSWRECV error
>Error traceback follows
>-----------------------
>-> Severity: Error
>-> Facility: LFxxx routines
>-> Abstract: Invalid date specification

I'm not sure if this means that the file was trashed or not.  Since I don't
have a 1.8c server to test it on anymore there's not much I can say other
than it's a known Y2K problem that will go away when Earlham upgrades to
1.8d.  (Note that the Earlham administrator would have more detailed
information about this failure in the LISTSERV console log.)

>2) The main reason that the software has not been updated is that the sysadmin
>there has limited familiarity with LISTSERV and does not know how to update it,
>and anticipates it being a major project taking up a large amount of time. Can
>someone indicate to me the estimated amount of time involved in upgrading from
>1.8c to the latest version of LISTSERV (Classic)? And also where the specific
>documentation would be for performing upgrades?  Thanks!

It shouldn't take very long.  The upgrade instructions are at
http://www.lsoft.com/unixinst.html (page down to the "Upgrading your
LISTSERV installation" section).  It appears that Earlham already have
a 1.8d LAK installed so the bits about obtaining and installing a 1.8d
LAK can be ignored.

If you discuss this with the admin make sure that he knows that he MUST
download BOTH the `uname`.tar.Z file for his OS AND the common.tar.Z
file.  common.tar.Z contains files that are common to all unix LISTSERV
installations and if you do not install these files along with the files
in the `uname`.tar.Z file, you do not have a complete installation of
LISTSERV 1.8d.

Nathan