"Hugh W. Jarvis" <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 6 Dec 1999 09:55:50 -0500
Anthro-l (general anthropology discussion list) invites all sorts of weird
and wonderful discussion and diatribes. Nominally we demand a clear
anthropological focus, be it theory, method, research questions,
dissemination fo information, or merely discussion of current events.
Problem is that the latter tends to take over, as do discussions of more
perverse topics. We do have a strict set of rules, but they primarly limit
illegal, unprofessional, or simply rude behaviour. It's very difficult to
force people to follow the direction you feel the list should take. I
think you have two options. One, take complete control, even so far as to
moderate it, or two, just let it go, lean on the silly/whacky people
(off-list), send frequent reminders of the focus, and actively feed the
list with what you feel should be there. The more they feel the parent,
the better they will behave.

Good luck,

        Hugh

           ||/
          (@ @)
- - - -o00-(_)-00o- - - Hugh Jarvis  [log in to unmask] - - - - - - -
       Let a fool hold his tongue and he will pass for a sage.
          -- Publius Syrus. Maxim 914  (oops!)
- - - - - - - - - - - http://wings.buffalo.edu/~hjarvis - - - - - - - - - -
          || ||
         _x| |x_