"Stephen C. Nill" <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 18 Sep 1998 06:58:23 -0700
        My appreciation to both the on- and off-list suggestions I've received on
this.  Unfortunately, none of them solves the need to have a means of
simply stripping off quoted bottom banners from subscribers' replies and
similar minor edits of postings.

        The suggestion to use, say, Eudora's forwarding feature won't work because
it is forwarding the approval message from Listserv; sure, I can manually
strip off the instruction language at the top and make other edits before
sending on to the list, but the message appears to be coming from Listserv
(i.e. the source of the approval message) and not the person who posted the
message.  Sure, the Eudora forwarding feature is great if someone happens
to send me the message intended for the list, rather than posting directly
to the list, since by using the forwarding feature the posting appears to
be coming from the originator and not me (though Eudora does insert an
acceptable notation that it was forwarded by me).  But this circumstance is
quite rare and not the need I'm trying to address.

        Suggestions to become an email client contortionist -- I'm more or less a
consumer, not a programmer -- are beyond my expertise and in any case miss
the central point of my posting, which, enlightened by the helpful replies
thus far on the thread, is as follows:  Do the good folks at LSoft intend
-- or can they be persuaded -- to include in 1.8d a feature that enables
list editors to make modifications to postings?  I realize that there are
RFC822 standards; it seems to me though that an editing function from
within Listserv can be created which does not do violence to these
standards.  These are, after all, external standards, are they not?

        Stephen C. Nill, J.D.
        CharityChannel, the Internet Discussion Forums
                of American Philanthropy Review
        http://CharityChannel.com/