"Peter M. Weiss +1 814 863 1843" <[log in to unmask]>
Sun, 5 Mar 1995 08:55:00 EST
>Eric (or maybe  someone else) said that Temple is  closing some lists. Here's
>the situation: I asked  the owners of two of Temple's 100+  lists to find new
>homes for  those lists because I  know full well that  I will not be  able to
>justify keeping them here when I meet  with my Vice President to discuss this
>situation. I am,  however, trying to avoid  closing any other lists  and I am
>reasonably certain  that I will  succeed in that regard.  I have also  put my
>Help-Net  list  on hold  during  the  day to  ease  the  load on  Princeton's
>resources until  the changes  we need  to make here  are authorized  and than
>implemented. I  also will  refuse requests from  non-Temple people  to create
>new lists here simply because I think  Temple is already doing its bid toward
>contributing to  the Listserv  network given  that we  handle so  much volume
>now.

I'd like to know (asked rhetorically) if those sites that are considering
shutting down lists have considered the PRIME= option for controlling
when particular lists are distributed (thus impacting telecom links and
CPU resources)?

It seems to me (IMHO) that this might be a satisfactory compromise.
(It certainly "beats" manually holding/releasing the list.)

(from the LISTKEYW TXT compliments of EARN)

*****************************
* Prime= Yes|No|"PRIMESPEC" *
*****************************

Defines when the list will distribute mail and files to the list
members.  The default is 'Yes', which allows a list to operate during
prime time as defined in the installation's LOCAL SYSVARS file.

Prime=No may be specified to prevent the list from operating during the
installation's Primetime.  Finally, 'Prime="PRIMESPEC"' (note the double
quotes) can be used to enforce a particular 'prime time' definition for
the list, which will over-ride the installation's Primetime setting.
Mail and files received during the list's prime time are held
temporarily, without sending any notification to the originator.

The value for PRIMESPEC can comprise several DAYSPECs, separated by
semicolons.  DAYSPEC is specified as:

                DDD1-DDD2: TIMESPEC1 <TIMESPEC2 <...>>

where

DDD                             Mon, Tue, etc

TIMESPEC                        HH1:MM1-HH2:MM2

HH:MM                           hours:minutes on 24 hour clock

The special value of '-' for  TIMESPEC specifies 'never'.

Examples:

"MON-FRI: 09:00-17:00; SAT-SUN: -"  (This is the default SYSVAR)
"MON-FRI: 08:00-12:00 13:30-18:30; SAT-SUN: 09:00-17:00"

--  co-owner INFOSYS, TQM-L, CPARK-L, ERAPPA-L, JANITORS, LDBASE-L, et -L
[log in to unmask]   "Policy? What Policy!: we make it up as we go along"
31 Shields Bldg. -- Penn State Univ -- University Park, PA 16802-1202 USA