Mari Colcolough <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 22 Oct 2001 19:18:25 EDT
In a message dated 10/22/01 6:35:58 PM Eastern Daylight Time, [log in to unmask]
writes:

> On Mon, 22 Oct 2001, Mari Colcolough wrote:
> >
> > If the list is left locked, other students at Millersville University
> won't
> > be able to subscribe using the conventional subscribe command.
>
> True, but if you're going to force people to remain subscribed, why
> bother unless you also subscribe those people?

I agree.  I don't know the circumstances of the original writer of this
thread but I could never on any of my lists in any way force members to
remain
subscribed.  Doing something like that sounds really awful and against the
freedoms that we try so hard to have on our lists.  Maybe it's a requirement
of whatever program those students are in ... but kids are very innovative
these days, especially about computing, and I suspect there's not really
going to be a good answer here.  I would tend to tell them what is expected
of them and why and hope that they would respect me and/or the program enough
to honor the rules.

Mari Colcolough
The Recovery Group