Francoise Becker <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 12 Jan 2004 19:14:26 -0500
On 10 Jan 2004 at 11:26, Barbara Passmore <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> I keep a narrow focus on my list and am continually defending it.
> A sub-list or two might solve this and even make the list more interesting.

For this purpose, it might make more sense to use "Topics" rather
than sub-lists.

Just a couple of caveats on Topics:

- If it's an unmoderated discussion list, you may end up spending as
much time policing the use of the topics as you currently do
defending your narrow focus. (e.g. a frequent message I end up having
to send to my list subscribers is "When you send an off-topic message
you MUST prefix your subject with 'OT:', that's Oh-Tee-Colon").

- Subscribers to the Digest or Index versions get ALL topics -- they
can't pick and choose which ones they receive in their digest.

Francoise