Paul Russell <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 28 Nov 2011 11:32:39 -0500
On 11/28/2011 08:51, David Phillips wrote:
> One of our subscribers is getting this error message:
>

> mail.ourserver.tld gave this error:
> <email-2010.dsl.edu>: Helo command rejected: 551
> AUTO_DYNAMIC_IP_PATTERN_DSL2 551 Your mail server appears to use a
> Dynamic IP address. 551 Contact an admin or use our website for help.
>
> I am not literate enough in mail service jargon to know what that
> means, or how to help our subscriber.

Several "best practices" documents recommend, some quite strongly, that a legitimate mail
server should have a static IP address that resolves to a meaningful (as opposed to
generic) hostname, and *that* hostname should resolve to the same IP address. Some sites
reject messages from systems which ignore this recommendation.

--
Paul Russell, Senior Systems Administrator
OIT Messaging Services Team