Eric Thomas <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 21 Nov 1996 09:20:51 +0100
On    Wed,    20    Nov     1996    20:48:41    -0600    Brent    Harding
<[log in to unmask]> said:

>Many demo programs do this. They do  it because they want you to pay for
>the software,

Yes, but this is not the case here. We just want people to be running the
final version, not  the beta version. We don't want  reviews in magazines
to be based on  obsolete kits that people copied to  FTP servers, etc. We
are still getting complaints about 1994  kits for Classic that people are
somehow still downloading from FTP servers that installed a copy and then
never updated it!  So, we'll make the perpetual license  keys require the
build  date of  the release  version. In  general it  is common  for beta
software to expire and require you  to download the real thing - Netscape
comes to mind.

  Eric