Jeffrey Boulier <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 14 Aug 1997 00:31:48 -0400
>    You should be able to restore the last version of the header and
> list by issuing the command:
>
>       GET listname OLDLIST PW=xxxxxxxx
>
>    LISTSERV stores a copy of the last header and list membership
> roster there.

Hi...

        Actually, this isn't completely accurate. LISTSERV does store a
copy of the old list as "listname oldlist". HOWEVER...

Script started on Thu Aug 14 00:16:50 1997
postmast@hermes:263:cd ~listserv/home
postmast@hermes:264:ls -l testing.oldlist
-rw-r--r--   1 listserv circ        2611 Aug 12 15:18 testing.oldlist
postmast@hermes:266:exit

But when trying to get a copy...

> get testing.oldlist
This server does not have any file by the name "testing.oldlist".

So this doesn't work under 1.8c Solaris. The file exists, it's just the
LISTSERV doesn't seem to know how to get it. I think that this might have
worked for at least the maintainer's account under LISTSERV 1.8b for VM.

Regardless, it means that the LISTSERV maintainer can restore some files
without having to go to back-up. This is a great relief.

                        --Jeff B.,

whose workstation is out of order, meaning he has to run restores on a PC
running some wussy X-emulator. The horror! The horror!