Jacob Haller <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 19 Aug 1998 14:48:15 -0400
>One (and apparently only one) of my subscribers is getting some messages
>that show up in Eudora with "From ???@???  Wed Aug 05 19:49:33 1998",
>where the date and time is the time of the download. When she opens
>the messages all the appropriate information is present, but filters
>don't work, and she cannot see who the message is from or the subject
>until she opens the message.

When Eudora displays "From ???@???", that typically indicates (as you might
guess) that Eudora couldn't find, or couldn't parse, the "From:" line.  Why
that would happen is a different matter, particularly if other people are
not having similar problems.

This is probably a cop-out, but if I could see the full headers of one of
the affected messages that might give me more to work with.  I suppose it's
possible that for some reason the post-processor you're using to replace
the 'From:' lines is occasionally doing it in an invalid way, perhaps not
using the proper end-of-line indicator or some other nonobvious problem.

LISTSERV typically follows all relevent RFCs extremely well.  I don't
remember what LISTSERV does if it's given a message with a bad From:
address to distribute to a mailing list; I _think_ that it bounces it to
someone in power and doesn't distribute it.  Maybe someone who's
encountered the problem recently can say more about this.  (Or someone from
L-Soft, of course.)

There isn't too much information, but I retain the illusion that I may have
been helpful in some way.  I hope that this is the case.

-jwgh

--
One day a tortoise will learn how to fly.
         - (Terry Pratchett, Small Gods)