Jane-Kerin Moffat <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 21 May 2001 18:08:52 -0400
Some months ago I discovered the ATTACHMENTS  keyword in the online
1.8d manual and reconfigured two lists ATTACHMENTS= NO.   I find that
this setting  successfully blocks most attachments.  HOWEVER, the
message that goes back to the senders of attachments (and greatly
confuses them) is:

>Mail template "BAD_ATTACHMENT" not found

Consistent with that message,  there is no BAD ATTACHMENT template in
the template files on my lists' web interfaces.

(Yesterday, when I saw  the text of the  BAD ATTACHMENT template for
the first time in this list's archives. Ben Parker
<[log in to unmask]> posted it February 13, 2001. It says:

>Your posting to the &LISTNAME list has been rejected because it
>contains an attachment of type '&TYPE;'. The &LISTNAME list has been
>configured to reject such attachments; please contact the list owner
>at &LISTNAME-request@&MYHOST for more information.

Also, since I  added  ATTACHMENTS= NO, the following warning comes up
on the web interface configuration page whenever I modify the list
configuration:

>The following problems have been detected in the list header:
>* ATTACHMENTS= NO
>Warning: There is no keyword by that name - check the spelling.
>Please refer to the list keyword documentation (available via the "INFO
>KEYWORDS" command) for more information about keyword syntax.
>Since only warnings have been issued, the list will be stored anyway.

Finally, when I send the command INFO KEYWORDS, I get a plain text
version of version of Appendix B  that does NOT include the
ATTACHMENTS keyword. It is plainly earlier than the   Appendix B
posted in the online manual.

At the suggestion of another listowner I tried modifying the  mailtpl
to include a BAD_ATTACHMENT message, but that made no difference: the
message received back was still: "Mail template "BAD_ATTACMENT" not
found.

I am getting around the lack of a BAD_ATTACHMENTS template by
changing ATTACHMENTS= NO, to ATTACHMENTS= NO, FILTER, which strips
off MIME attachments, while letting the plain text message through.
The disadvantage of this setting, however, is that senders may not
realize that their attachments have been lost.

My questions for this list are:
What do our list administrators and/or L-soft need to do to do:
      1) to  make the BAD ATTACHMENT template available and what would
this cost?
      2) to have the command INFO KEYWORDS return an up-to-date
version Appendix B?
I would like to be able to forward your reply to our inhouse computer
person with a request he forward it to the list administrators.

      I would appreciate your answer in a form that I can forward
directly to the list administrator of the not-for-profit organization
that hosts my list.

Thank you.

        Jane-Kerin Moffat