Tue, 18 Jan 2000 04:18:56 -0500
Since I started this thread I'd like to thank all who have answered so far. You have given me some good ideas and a couple of potential new hosts. The rest of the listowners of our group and I need to mull over what  we have so far but are still open to suggestions.

As a newbie to this list I have no idea how often this topic comes up but I'd bet it reoccurs at least occasionally. Maybe I should search the archives for suggestions in the past. My appologies if it is a tired subject.

One suggestion is to limit the number of posts per day for each subscriber to cut down on the back and forth posting in flame wars. What would you consider a reasonable limit?

Another idea was to approach our host with a better defined acceptable use policy (AUP). I would love to see any policies you have for your lists but please send them to me offlist. Maybe if we had a good AUP then we could get people to agree to it or leave the list. A contract of sorts that the university could stand behind.

We were worried that a specifically outlined AUP would actually hamper our ability to use our judgement as to what posts constitute abuse and would open the door to people complaining that someone had violated a specific policy when in spirit they had not. One place on our list where this comes into play is in matters of racism. Our list is about blues music and race related topics are inevitable. But if someone says for instance "Whites can't play the blues." Is that racist? Many scream that it is and I agree to a point. But it isn't "blatant" racism and should be open for discussion. So where is the line that a person shouldn't cross? Is racism a matter of words or intentions? It
gets very complicated very fast and as most of you probably know it has to be as simple as possible for the list members as a whole to grasp. If you make it too complicated you'll be explaining it forevermore. By keeping our guidelines general we had latitude in our judgement of what was and what wasn't a violation of AUP.
--
Walter Potter