"J. R. Lankford" <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 5 May 1998 07:53:06 -0500
I run a writing list called NovelDoc which uses topics to permit an author
and a team of two critiquers to go into a private "room" and work.  In this
way, we've had up to eight different novels being posted and critiqued
simultaneously.  We have a group topic called Talk and other specialty
topics in which various groups participate.

I do all the topic changes, preceded by the quiet command, to avoid the
headaches involved in explaining it to my members and straightening out
mistakes.  It's no problem because we work to schedules and don't make
changes on the fly.  When I add a group to a room (topic), I post a welcome
message so they know they're there.  When I clear a room I post another
advisory message.  I'm subscribed to the ALL topic.  No one is subscribed
to the OTHER topic.

For us, topics has worked like an absolute charm.

Jilla