Eric Thomas <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 8 May 1996 04:34:47 +0200
I am looking for  a small number of highly motivated  sites to alpha test
the database functions for non-VM systems. To avoid bad surprises:

1. This is  an alpha test, not a  beta test. The code has  been tested in
   house but it's difficult for a  small number of people to exercise the
   whole range of  combinations available from a  database search engine.
   There are  also a number of  other unrelated changes in  this build. I
   recommend running it on a test  server initially. You could copy a few
   months'  worth of  logs and  instruct the  users participating  in the
   alpha test to send their search requests to the test address.

2. It is very common for buggy  expression parsers to put your program in
   a loop. You will have to  be prepared for this possibility and monitor
   your server regularly.

3. You  should be familiar with  your system's debugger, at  least to the
   point that you can mail us tracebacks and the like without assistance.
   A typical problem report for the new database functions will include a
   traceback,  log  excerpts  (which  include all  sorts  of  debug/trace
   information in  this alpha  build), and  a full  copy of  the original
   search command.  You will also  be expected  to split the  search into
   simpler sub-searches to try and isolate the cause of the failure. None
   of  this is  not extremely  difficult, but  a technical  background is
   highly desirable.

As  usual with  new functions,  a maintenance  contract is  required. You
should obtain and install a  1.8c license key from [log in to unmask] before
contacting me.

The 1.8c database  functions take the form of a  top-level SEARCH command
(which can be  issued without JCL) that offers the  full functionality of
the  VM DATABASE  SEARCH subcommand.  An index  is displayed  following a
successful search, then  some context information is included.  Here is a
simple example:

> sea collection in excel-l
-> 2 matches.

Item #   Date   Time  Recs   Subject
------   ----   ----  ----   -------
000031 95/01/21 19:50  177   Re: XL5 Object question
000061 96/01/01 16:52   40   Re: Hiding Toolbars

To order a copy of these postings, send the following command:

                      GETPOST 31 61

>>> Item #31 (21 Jan 1995 19:50) - Re: XL5 Object question

2. Objects in Collections - these are objects for which there are
              ^^^^^^^^^^
multiple instances.  Examples: Workbook, Worksheet, Chart, PivotTable,
***************
In working with an object in Excel and in determining whether it is a
singular object or an object in a collection, ask yourself if there are
                                  ^^^^^^^^^^
multiple instances of the object.  Let's take the Worksheet object -
***************
object.  Both Worksheet and Workbook are therefore objects in
collections.  Now take a look at the Application object - which
^^^^^^^^^^
represents Excel itself.  There is only one Application object - so
***************
1. Singular objects are accessed through properties.
2. Objects in Collections are accessed through methods.
              ^^^^^^^^^^

***************
Range, DrawingObjects and Sheets.  Range has characteristics of both
singular objects and objects in collections - and you can access Range
                                ^^^^^^^^^^
objects through both properties and methods.  DrawingObjects and Sheets
are often referred to as meta-collections - they are collections that
                              ^^^^^^^^^^
contain other collections.  For example, the Sheets collection contains
              ^^^^^^^^^^
the Worksheets, Charts, Modules and Dialogsheets collections.  While
                                                 ^^^^^^^^^^
DrawingObjects contains Rectangles, ChartObjects, Spinners, DropDowns -
***************
object) you retrieve various properties - while in accessing objects in
collections, you call methods.  Here are some examples of using
^^^^^^^^^^
properties to retrieve singular objects:
***************

Here are some examples of accessing objects in collections through methods:
                                               ^^^^^^^^^^

>>> Item #61 (1 Jan 1996 16:52) - Re: Hiding Toolbars
toolbar) - or you can accomplish such menu changes programmatically
through manipulation of the Menus and MenuItems collections.  Any
                                                ^^^^^^^^^^
changes made to menu structure through use of the menu editor will be

I've used a simple expression in this example, but any expression that is
valid on VM will work with the  new system. There is even a new operator,
NEAR, to denote a search for words that are not too far from one another.
As noted,  the postings can  then be  ordered using the  GETPOST command.
This new SEARCH  command will also be available under  VM, of course. The
missing features  from the  full database  functions are  custom indexes,
PRINT "parts", line/CPU limits, and a few other minor features. This will
all  be provided  in a  future version.  We believe  that the  new SEARCH
command will satisfy the needs of all but a handful of customers.

  Eric