Roger Fajman <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 17 Sep 1998 23:01:36 -0400
> It's my experience that it's not always -- or even mostly -- that
> ISPs have changed the names, but that users change mail programs (for
> instance, start using Netscape Mail) and inadvertently change the
> return address when they configure it.  And I don't see how the
> ALIASES NAMES list will help with this, since, I assume, you have to
> know the address has been changed and add it to the list manually.
> What usually happens on my lists is that someone suddenly discovers
> she's unable to post (or, more likely, unable to unsubscribe) from
> the invisibly altered address.
>
>                                         -- Russ

What I am looking for will not help that situation.  But we have a
database of equivalent email addresses for our own users that we could
make available to our LISTSERV.  Yes, it would only help our own users
on our own LISTSERV, but that's important to us.  The majority of the
lists on our LISTSERV are internal to our organization.

I think there are a lot of organizations that have such data bases.
Anybody with a mail forwarder such as CCSO/ph has one.  Such a
forwarder sends mail addressed to some-name@domain to
[log in to unmask] There are over 300 CCSO/ph servers on
the Internet.