"Stephen C. Nill" <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 28 Apr 2004 08:14:18 -0700
This is probably not practical for one reason or other, and I haven't tried
it so it might not work, but you could try something like this:

Set up a LISTSERV list with the name of email address.  Example:  for an
email address [log in to unmask], create a list called
"john_doe."  Subscribe your customer under his/her real address.  Thus, an
email to [log in to unmask] would go to the list address (be sure to
remove this address from LSMTP's routing table).  Configure the list to
accept postings from non-subscribed addresses, but to require confirmation
from the sender (per LISTERV's approval mechanism).  Set the appropriate
template messaging to explain why the sender must click the approval link
or use the "ok" reply procedure.  The result would be that a sender who is
a real human being will approve the message, and one who is a spammer will
not.  One additional benefit would be if you were to set up an archive for
the list, your customer can now read his/her email from your web-based
archive system.

I have not tried to figure out the list settings to accomplish this and am
not even sure if it's possible to use LISTSERV in this manner.  Others here
with better expertise on LISTSERV might wish to jump in here ....

Steve

At 12:06 PM 4/27/2004, you wrote:
>"LISTSERV list owners' forum" <[log in to unmask]> wrote on
>04/27/2004 02:32:22 PM:
>
> > We currently use LSMTP as a means of providing each of our customers
>with a
> > personalized email address. In short a customer may have the email
>address
> > [log in to unmask] which they can promote. When an email is sent to the
> > @freelife.com address it is forwarded to their real email address. We
> > configure this in the config.dat file and this file is regenerated every
>10
> > minutes.
> >
> > Our growing concern is spam. It seems that we are forwarding an
>incredible
> > amount of garbage email to our customers real email addresses. Does
>anyone
> > have any recommendations on what we could implement to reduce the amount
>of
> > spam that comes into LSMTP and is forwarded on.
>
>The obvious solution is to place a spam filter in front of the
>freelife.com server. There are a number of open source solutions if money
>is an issue.  I like MIMEDefang. (http://www.mimedefang.org) because it
>interacts with sendmail and can modify the responses in the SMTP
>conversation.  If you purchase the commercial version - CanIT Pro -  it
>has the ability to create different streams with unique filter settings.
>
>---
>
>SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM / Hormel's new miracle meat in a can
>Tastes fine, saves time. / If you want something grand, / Ask for SPAM!
>          - Hormel's 1937 jingle for SPAM
>

>William Brown
>Messaging/Filtering Services
>Erie 1 BOCES