Dan Lester <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 2 Dec 1993 09:21:28 MST
On Tue, 30 Nov 1993 21:19:33 -0500 JUDITH HOPKINS AT SUNY BUFFALO said:
>I plan to gateway my list to Netnews and am in the process of soliciting
>reactions from my current subscribers.  One person expressed concern
>about the possible large increase of list traffic that might result.

   Interesting...I'd never even thought of asking before gatewaying mine.
All seven are gatewayed, and have seen NO difference that is measurable.
This is partly because relatively few sites get the bit.listserv.*
hierarchy.  There were folks who unsubbed and are still active, so for
them it is a plus.

>Those of you who provide access to your lists via Usenet News, what
>impact, if any, did you find that the additional access method has
>had on your list traffic?

   None.  Just do it.

   Hey, even net geeks from the 'Usenet side' won't really get into
stuff as arcane as library cataloging....    o-)

cyclops

  Dan Lester                          Internet: [log in to unmask]
  Network Information Coordinator     Bitnet:   ALILESTE@IDBSU
  Boise State University Library
  Boise, Idaho  83725                 In the kingdom of the blind, the
  208-385-1235                        one-eyed man is king.  Erasmus. 1523