Eric Thomas <[log in to unmask]>
Sun, 24 Jan 1999 00:53:35 +0100
We do have a version of LISTSERV that we think is Y2000 compliant, and
that version will ship as 1.8d for VM. However, at this point we cannot
guarantee Y2000 compliance. The problem is that we have about 40 VM
customers, and we have this policy of pricing VM at PC levels, rather than
at industry levels :-) So, while we do have enough VM revenues to keep
enhancing the software and fund the continued existence of a P/390 (due
for upgrade this year), we simply cannot buy real iron or multiple
P/390s (IBM will only discount one development P/390 and, while the
hardware is not very expensive, the undiscounted software licenses are
another story). Currently our P/390 runs a version of VM that is not
Y2000 compliant but that does support 370 operation. This allows us to
qualify 1.8d for S/370 customers who are going to migrate to another
system this year. We promised to have S/370 support in 1.8d, although
it will be the last version. On the new P/390, we will run a version of VM
that is Y2000 compliant but no longer supports 370 operation, and when
that arrives we will be able to guarantee LISTSERV for Y2000. We did test
the software extensively on guest accounts at customer sites, but we
cannot legally guarantee Y2000 compliance until our equipment
allows us to fix Y2000 problems without relying on guest accounts (the
problem is more the time it takes to transfer things and run tests - and
the risk of making a mistake in the process - than the fear that these
accounts would disappear without warning). Another issue is that we
have documentation for the version of VM we are using, ie no Y2000
documentation. Since we cannot be given source code access on
guest accounts, this is a potential obstacle. It has not been a problem
thus far but there is no guarantee that it will not. Finally, we rely on the
site hosting the guest accounts to kindly set the date to 2000 and back
(these are mostly second level test systems).

Anyway, to answer your question, if you have a Y2000 project team
eager to do some testing, we have code for them today and, if they
should find a problem, we will obviously do our best to address it.
However, it may not happen within the same time frame as for a
normal bug report, and we do not guarantee Y2000 operation.

  Eric