Bill Harvey <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 6 Jan 1995 13:50:52 CST
On Thu, 5 Jan 1995 16:29:10 -0400, Ol' blue eyes <[log in to unmask]>
said:
>        [original list message snipped]
>        Specific questions:
>        1)  Why does the tscvm.trenton.edu site think this list mail came from
>        'owner-' rather than the list?

Because that's how LISTSERV@BROWNVM sent the mail out.  That's the way you
want it to look.  That part is working as designed.

>        2)  What does the 'charlatan' message mean?

That means that the Princeton Mailer at TSCVM received a BSMTP
envelope from an "untrusted source" whose BSMTP MAIL FROM:  field does
not correspond to the NJE origin of the source.  It thinks the mail is
a forgery.

>                                                     Why would the site care
>        who the mail came from?

That dates waaaaaayyy back to when BITNET mailers tried to perform a
bit of rudimentary security on mail.  It was never terribly effective,
but these things tend to take on a life of their own...

But this is not a serious cause for concern.  The mail will be
delivered just fine regardless (except for the odd X-Delivery-Notice:
header...).  That has no effect on whether this mail will be
deliverable to these userids.  However, if you want to get it fixed,
you can try to complain to the mailer maintainers at TSCVM.  Their
MAILER needs to be told that LISTSERV@TSCVM is a trusted source.  Good
luck...

>        3)  Why does the site first say that xxxxxx, yyyyyy, and zzzzzz are OK
>        recipients, then report that they don't exist?

That dates back to the origins of BSMTP which were derived from
RFC821.  Basically, RFC821 says it's ok to respond with the
"250 recipient OK" message after a RCPT TO:  even though you haven't
verified that the address is valid.  The Princeton/Crosswell Mailer
took that to heart, and it's never changed.

You can believe the latter messages.  The userids don't exist anymore
and should probably be removed from your list.

>        FWIW, the three subscribers joined my list in mid-December, and there
>        were no problems whatsoever until last night.

That's probably when the userids were deleted from TSCVM.
Bill