"Herman J. Woltring" <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 27 Mar 1992 16:10:00 N
Dear List-`owners',

Greg Kroll's and previous policy statements are intriguing.  Some time ago, I
posted a question on how to quote LISTSERVer archives in the published litera-
ture which, in my mind, presupposes a reasonable permanence of the database.

I'm lucky that the host of my list doesn't charge anything for the disk space
that is occupied by it.  Greg's policy reminds me too much of (what I feel
would be) the anomaly of authors, editors, or publishers who have to pay for
the luxury of having their books on the shelves of a (semi)public library.

For printed matter, quite the opposite occurs: publishers and authors try to
use copyright or newly created lending rights to be paid by libraries who
make their books available to the public, where a substantial amount of photo-
copying (or, today, scanning?) occurs; this is great for the photocopying
business, but not so much for authors and publishers ...

Herman J. Woltring, Eindhoven/NL

P.S.:  When Voltaire left The Netherlands some centuries ago after harsh
negotiations with Dutch printers about his books which were outlawed in
France, he exclaimed allegedly `Adieu caneaux, canards, canaille!' (Fare-
well channels, ducks, riff-raff!) -- the French word for `duck' has the
connotation of `red herring'.  What bargaining power do listowners have?