Jim Jones <[log in to unmask]>
Sat, 16 Jan 1993 13:48:39 EST
On Sat, 16 Jan 1993 12:39:05 -0400 Lydia Fish said:
>I would like to second Jim's suggestion--I don't think anyone's interests would
>be served by fragmenting this list.

 For what it's worth, I think it would be best to keep everything on one
 list too.  But I did think it was worth discussing.  If for no other reason
 than it's now clear to the list that novice type questions are perfectly
 appropriate.  Combining that with this question,

>Would it be possible to put NOV: on the subject line of quesitons or answers
>intended only for beginners?  Then people who have outgrown that stage cuold
>just delete them without reading.

 I do have a suggestion that may help new list owners use this list more
 effectively.

 The recently announced "topic support" to be available in LISTSERV 1.7f
 could be used for this.  I'd argue that it would be best to ask the
 non-novice list members to mark their postings.  Maybe Technical: and
 Advanced: topics would be useful?  With set the list up to not send
 those topics to new subscribers, only people that know enough to change
 their list subscriptions would see the postings that assumed significant
 levels of LISTSERV knowledge?

>Lydia Fish (fishlm@snybufva)

 -jj