Paul Prusakowski <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 18 Aug 1999 11:03:12 -0400
Hello,

Regarding the idea of setting up a new topic on a pre-existing listserver
that would require subscribers to then ADD the topic before receiving
postings to that topic...

1. I added a new topic to my list of topics in the header.
2. I then sent the following command: quiet set oandp-l topics: -newtopic
for *@*
3. A message was returned stating that subscription options were changed for
1358 subscribers.... Good I thought...
4. I sent a test message with the topic as the first word in the subject
line, and got an acknowledgement back stating that 56 recipients got the
message.

How could that happen if I sent a command to remove that topic from
everyone's settings?  The number that came back after  step number 2 was the
same number as my entire subscription base.... I find it strange that 56
people still got the message!

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

We are trying to provide a professional association with a channel of
reaching ONLY its membership through this listserver.  The list has been
recognized as THE global discussion group for my profession, and we don't
want to start a second list so we would like to create a loosely controlled
"sub list' within the list by using TOPICS.

Thanks a lot.

Paul Prusakowski