Norm Aleks <[log in to unmask]>
Sat, 11 Feb 1995 07:52:51 -0500
Good God, people, what are you saying?!

Eric has *said* that L-Soft is putting together a list owner's manual (that
is, something COMPLETE and  better than the reference  cards we have  now),
and he has *said* it will be available for  free.  What could possibly make
you want  to pay for something that  (a) you should get  anyway, and (b) he
has ALREADY SAID WILL BE FREE?  Are you desperate to give your money away?

Maybe you are all just  saying, "We love LISTSERV, and  we'd love to have a
good manual" -- also, as  list owners and  not usually postmasters, you may
not have as direct  a feeling as  I do that  "we've paid for this software,
and we *should* get good documentation."  Granted, LISTSERV and its support
are great -- everyone  wants to support  Eric and  L-Soft, and probably  to
give them a  retrospective  thank you  for support  in the past.    Do that
personally, by sending thank you notes to Eric, your postmaster, and others
who have helped you.  But in terms of money, your  institution and mine are
already supporting  L-Soft   by paying license  fees  --  a new  thing, and
something that  raises the ante from when  Eric gave  licenses away and one
could say  "sure, the docs  could be improved but  hey, it's free."  Decent
documentation is something to EXPECT in a commercial product, and I for one
would be very  angry if I  had to pay  for it (not  that  I expect  that to
happen).  Find some other way to express your appreciation!

Norm