Paul Russell <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 22 Feb 2007 13:27:31 -0500
On 2/22/2007 13:01, Pete Weiss wrote:
> Beside L-Soft's products for LISTSERV(R) virtual hosting
>
> http://www.lsoft.com/products/emaillisthosting.asp
>
> are you aware of any other virtual hosting facilities (like ListPlex(sm))
 > that would support both LISTSERV(R) and a hostname.COM ?
>
> This is NOT for a university customer.

We use a single instance of LISTSERV running on a server in our central mail
cluster to host lists @listserv.nd.edu and @lists.alumni.nd.edu. Because this
is a single instance of LISTSERV, each listname must be unique site-wide, i.e.,
the addresses [log in to unmask] and [log in to unmask] resolve to the
same list, not different lists.

We had to specify both hostnames in the MYDOMAIN= parameter in go.user (we
run LISTSERV on Solaris).

We had to define two virtual NICs at the OS level and assign one IP address to
listserv.nd.edu and the other to lists.alumni.nd.edu. We also had to configure
sendmail to recognize both host names as valid. Before we made these changes,
sendmail was rewriting the hostname portion of every list and list-related
address with the real hostname.

We had to configure apache to recognize both host names, and to preserve the
hostname specified by the user on the HTTP request.

The default list hostname is 'listserv.nd.edu'. We add a 'List-Address='
statement to the header of each list hosted on 'lists.alumni.nd.edu'.

--
Paul Russell, Senior Systems Administrator
OIT Messaging Services Team