Nick Laflamme <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 27 Apr 1992 09:40:27 EST
I'd love to see some sort of automated survey about how often BITNET
links go down.  For example, suppose BITNIC were to once an hour (or
once a day at varying times) try to query each node in BITNET:  how
often would it succeed for each node.  Natalie implies that MSSTATE
would bomb out regularly, and I won't argue with that.  However, I think
Natalie's view of BITNET is severely negatively biased by her particular
situation.  Since I rejoined BITNET two years ago, I've been impressed
by the general reliability of the network and its lack of queues.  (To
put it another way, if you think it's bad now, you should have been here
before June of 1987; the improvements between then and April of 1990
were staggering!)

I will state without proof (but while wearing an asbestos suit) that
90+% of BITNET users (on 80+% of all BITNET nodes) get fine service from
BITNET in terms of prompt delivery and connectivity.  Yes, smaller nodes
with fewer users often have smaller staffs who don't watch an NJE link
that closely.  And, since NJE lines are single purpose while TCP/IP
lines serve many purpose (e-mail, FTP, remote login, etc) more people
yell more loudly when they go down, so they tend to stay up better, even
at small sites.

Speaking of urban legends and popular myths, I was amused by Jim Marco's
description of the Neiman-Marcus cookie story, also known as the
Waldorf-Astoria Cake story, also known as....  If you get Usenet groups
and read alt.folklore.urban, you'd know that this is not a lie, it's an
urban legend; you might think you know the origin, but it's almost
always "No, I don't know that first hand, but I heard it from a
trustworthy friend...." I can see why Jim would hate to see such
folklore not posted to a list he runs, but to call it a lie and imply
that some competitor is maliciously spreading the story is extreme and
itself mildly malicious.  "Hey'd you hear about that story that Sears is
spreading about Neiman-Marcus?  Well, I think it's Sears; I heard it's
one of Neiman-Marcus's competitor's, anyway."

Disclaimer:  No, it's not Sears, nor is it anyone else, either, except
tons of people who love to retell stories, not realizing they're just
urban legends.

Cross-reference:  Craig Shergold, FCC modem tax, BITNET is slower than
the Internet, many others.  :-)

:esoapbox.

Nick