Sun, 5 May 1996 18:25:45 -0400
At 15:33 05/05/96 -0400, you wrote:
>>But Pete Weiss' asking *should* it, is this really the best way to do
>>something like this, is to the point.  The mere fact that a lot of
>>people have finally gotten a little comfortable with list procedures
>>(and lots of programs/services out there which will do it all for you
>>for those who aren't comfortable with it) does not mean that a list,
>>as I think most of us understand the term on this (ahem) list, is the
>>best way to go for something  like this.....
>
>Douglas and Pete make an important point. We've gotten to the point where
>large percentage of the networked world has not only email but www access,
>be it tty-based (lynx) or fully graphical. One-way dissemination in such
>large volumes *may* be best served by a daily-updated web site, versus
>daily email
>to .14 million readers. Of course, it all depends on your criteria for
>"best,"
>i.e., ease for the disseminators, versus traffic across email nodes,
>dispersion
>of load over the net, type of requests, etc.
<snip>
>Regards,
>
>Dave Phillips
>(BIOSPH-L)

Let me also point out that not everyone who has email has WWW access,
especially for business purposes. Does anyone know how many email-only
clients there are in the corporate setting?

Philo

Philip B Janus                 ||"Actually, I'm master of Samantha's
[log in to unmask]                || fate; she's only leasing it."
1E GULC          <*>           ||          -God
http://www.radix.net/~philo    ||