Paul Russell <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 5 Mar 2002 11:23:06 -0500
I prefaced my suggestion with "one way" for this very reason. There is
more than one way to skin a cat, or run a list, as the case may be. A
technique which might be appropriate for one list owner in one set of
circumstances might not be appropriate for another list owner, or even
for the same list owner in different circumstances. As with almost
everything, there is both a benefit and a cost to a particular list
configuration. It is up to the individual list owner to determine whether
the benefits outweigh the costs for a given list at a given point in time.

In an ideal world, everyone would always accept personal responsibility
for their actions, and would always act in a manner to prevent their
actions from causing harm to others. In an ideal world, we would not be
having this discussion.

On Tue, 5 Mar 2002 08:20:14 -0500, Dan Robinson <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

>This might work on a low volume list, however I can't see it working on a
high volume, fast paced list. Lists are not time zone specific and there are
lists where people post as the day (and night) progress across the world.
Listserv's ability to deny attachments has worked quite well at blocking
most viruses on lists that I'm on where virus propagation used to be a very
high occurrence. Then, there is the individual responsibility of running an
up to date antivirus program.

>Dan Robinson

Paul Russell
Senior System Administrator