rob woiccak <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 16 Jan 1997 21:47:57 -0500
At 07:45 PM 1/16/97 -0500, Stan Ryckman wrote:

>At 11:35 AM 1/16/97 -0800, Eric Paul-Hus wrote:

>>I have one user that have this error several times a day:

>>> ----- The following addresses had permanent fatal errors -----
>>> "|/usr/local/bin/procmail #user" (expanded from: <[log in to unmask]>)
>>>
>>> ----- Transcript of session follows -----
>>> Memory fault - core dumped
>>> 554 "|/usr/local/bin/procmail #user"... unknown mailer error 139

>This user is apparently using procmail.  I use it, and am on its
>mailing list, so I'll try and help with what I can here.

>The stuff between double quotes "" is undoubtedly an entry in the user's
>.forward file.  Procmail instructions say that it should contain:
>    |IFS=' '&&exec /usr/local/bin/procmail -f-||exit 75 #YOUR_USERNAME

actually, the contents of the .forward file are system-dependant. i use
procmail on solaris with a locally-hacked tcsh and my .forward looks just
like the one which is causing the error.

>Some more credible things to check:
>        - is procmail actually in /usr/local/bin and world-executable?
>        - does sendmail allow users to run programs?  Is smrsh involved?
>        - there are other possible permissions issues as well.

good ideas, but i got the feeling from eric's original note that this
problem, while occuring "several times a day", doesn't happen *every time*
a message is delivered. if this presumption is correct, then that argues
against a procmail configuration problem and points to some sort of other
sporadic weirdness.
--
_O_ rob woiccak