Kevin Parris <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 11 Apr 2001 12:26:01 -0400
Why are they sending mail to people who have not specifically requested membership on the lists?  Very few people are likely to send hate mail in response to distributions on a list to which they have chosen to subscribe.  On the other hand, MILLIONS (or at least many thousands) of people are likely to send hate mail in response to messages they did not request.

If you/they are getting hate mail, you obviously are doing something that is very clearly inappropriate.  I would say it is a most desirable feature of any email service, that I be able to determine exactly who is responsible for each and every message arriving in my mailbox.   I concede that in some contexts anonymity has merit, but it has absolutely no value at all when sending email to me.

>>> [log in to unmask] 04/11/01 11:14AM >>>
I was wondering whether anyone might help me with a little problem some of
my owners/editors have been complaining about, when they compile a list of
subscribers and send out a message anonymously (say, for example From:
[log in to unmask]), how is it that the subscribers are able to
determine exactly who the owner is and send them hate mail directly?  And,
I suppose, to take this question one step further, how might I as the site
maintainer, disable this option?
Thanks in advance,
Chris

    || Chris Sipes | Web Developer | Forrester Research, Inc. | 400
Technology Square | Cambridge, MA 02139 |  email: [log in to unmask] |
617.613.6009 ||