Eric Thomas <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 21 Jun 1996 08:03:41 +0200
On Thu, 20 Jun 1996 10:05:00 EDT Shahrukh Merchant
<[log in to unmask]> said:

>- The "OK"  mechanism partially  addresses this (yes,  it even  makes it
>  easier in  many cases). But  there are  at least two  situations where
>  this doesn't work:
>
>  + For truly edited lists, where changes are made to the text by the
>    editor;

In this case I  don't think it's proper to make the  posting look like it
was originally from the poster. You've  changed the contents, and it's no
longer that person's message.

>Call them broken  if you want to,  but all this is the  reality, even if
>not  the ideal.  Why  L-Soft  is not  acknowledging  this  is beyond  my
>comprehension!

L-Soft is  acknowledging the problem,  but THE INTERNET NEEDS  A COMPUTER
PARSABLE  WAY OF  FORMATTING  FORWARDED MESSAGES.  Right  now every  mail
client has its own particular way of forwarding mail, which in most cases
is not computer parsable.

>2. Add a command (which would be sent to listserv@...)
>        approve listname [pw=xxxx]
>        Headers AND body of message immediately following approve
>        command
>   EVERY mail client I know lets one read a file into the body of the
>   message, and for those inclined it is not hard to write a simple
>   script
>   to automate this.

But how do you get the headers? :-) Excuse me but with most mail programs
it is  actually not easy  at all, unless  you mean the  *visible* headers
that you can  cut and paste and that aren't  sufficient. Anyway, this can
be implemented  in 5 minutes outside  LISTSERV. Just make a  mailbox that
maps to a program that will read the address you want to send to from the
first line and add Resent- lines.

>This has  the additional  advantage of  allowing an  implementation with
>some security in the approval process via the pw= mechanism.

No, it would only be false security. Anyone can fake the Resent- headers.

  Eric