Paul Karagianis <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 16 May 2002 10:24:15 -0400
On 16 May 2002, at 6:44, Stan Horwitz wrote:

>On Wed, 15 May 2002, Randy Ryan wrote:
>
>> I (and loosely speaking for others that have inquired) really would like to
>> request a method to block attachments coming in via the <listname>-request
>> address.
>
>Such requests need to be sent to [log in to unmask], however, a simple
>solution to your problem, if you use Unix, would be to set a procmail
>filter to do what you want.

Agreed but, additionally, since spam is going to be a nuisance until
society collectively does something about it, it would be nice if a
site-wide throttle was part of the Listserv package.  Spammers seem to
be slowly increasing their use of these addresses and being able to "do
something" about it for the time being would give management and the less
mail-savvy owners a warm feeling.  Off the cuff, just being able to limit
outbound *-requests to owners to N lines or bytes would keep us from
propagating obnoxious graphics or virii.  If a truly useful attachment was
truncated then the owner could follow up back-channel from the headers.

I'm also still under the illusion that having something in place as part
of the package will discourage the use of these addressess although, Lord
knows, I know it will have zero impact on the worst offenders - the twits
who tell Listserv it "opted in to a web page" or insist on sending porn
to the "abuse" and "postmaster" addressess.